For the second year running, Seattle Sounders star Clint Dempsey has sold the most jerseys on the MLS retail site.
On MLSStore.com, Dempsey replica jerseys were purchased more than any other player in the league over the course of the 2015 season. Players from the league’s two New York franchises took the cake, though, representing five of the top 10 spots in the list.
Spots two through five on the list represent list year’s theme of international legends joining MLS, in the order of Steven Gerard, Kaka, Andrea Pirlo, and David Villa.
The most impressive position on this list may be Pirlo. The Italian maestro was only announced as an NYCFC player this July, meaning he reached the fourth overall spot in just three months.
Starting with sixth, the remaining spots are as follows: Obafemi Martins, Frank Lampard, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Brek Shea, and Mix Diskerud. League newcomer Sebastian Giovinco ranked 12th, while neither of his Toronto FC teammates Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley made the top 20. Meanwhile, Columbus Crew homegrown midfielder Wil Trapp managed to rank 19th overall.
Here’s a closer look at the top 20 jersey sales in MLS:
1. Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders
2. Steven Gerrard, LA Galaxy
3. Kaka, Orlando City
4. Andrea Pirlo, New York City FC
5. David Villa, New York City FC
6. Obafemi Martins, Seattle Sounders
7. Frank Lampard, New York City FC
8. Bradley Wright-Phillips, New York Red Bulls
9. Brek Shea, Orlando City
10. Mix Diskerud, New York City FC
11. Robbie Keane, LA Galaxy
12. Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC
13. Graham Zusi, Sporting Kansas City
14. Dom Dwyer, Sporting Kansas City
15. Gyasi Zardes, LA Galaxy
16. Didier Drogba, Montreal Impact
17. Giovani Dos Santos, LA Galaxy
18. Lee Nguyen, New England Revolution
19. Wil Trapp, Columbus Crew
20. Sacha Kljestan, New York Red Bulls
What do you think about this list? Any surprises in the makeup or order of the top 20? Any omissions in your opinion?
Share your thoughts below.