Set to begin NASL play in 2016, Miami FC has taken a major step by announcing a home stadium.
Miami FC announced Thursday that the club will play its home games at Ocean Bank Field on the campus of Florida International University. The venue, which hosted games in the 2009 and 2011 Gold Cup, was previously home to the old Miami FC from 2007-09 and seats roughly 20,000.
“This is Miami’s team,” Miami FC co-owner Riccardo Silva said. “By calling the FIU stadium home we are taking a step further to building a strong and passionate fan base in our city.”
“FIU is all about win-win partnerships,” added FIU President Mark B. Rosenberg . “We are thrilled to be working with Riccardo Silva.”
Earlier this year, Ocean Bank Field was seen as a potential temporary home for David Beckham’s MLS Miami expansion.
Here are some more NASL news and notes:
ROWDIES’ CAMPBELL PRAISES ADU AHEAD OF COSMOS CLASH
After struggling with injuries throughout the past several months, Freddy Adu is peaking at the right time for the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
Helping lead the Rowdies push will be Adu, who has appeared in the last six games after dealing with tendinitis in his Achilles. In just seven appearances, five of which were starts, Adu has notched three assists, including a highlight-reel chip to Brian Shriver against Ottawa Fury FC.
“As far as I’m concerned (Freddy) was well-received,” Rowdies head coach Stuart Campbell told SBI. “It was just unfortunate that he got injured and we had to take our time to get him back. He’s been good as gold. He mixes well with the other players. He looks like he’s enjoying his soccer again.
“We had a chat, I told him what my expectations were and he knuckled down and worked his way into the team, and the team as a whole are benefiting from it.”
Overall, Campbell was quick to point out that it was the team that has been improving in recent weeks. The Rowdies have lost just thrice since Campbell took over in August and have picked up several notable wins, including a defeat of the Cosmos in September, that has pushed the team within striking distance of the postseason.
“I’m not really one to single anyone out,” Campbell said. “The whole team have been great, and regardless of what results we’ve had, they’ve come in every day. I firmly believe they’ve given me everything they’ve got. They’ve been a pleasure to work with.”
FURY FC TO SHAKE THINGS UP AHEAD OF FINAL GAME
Ottawa Fury FC head coach Marc Dos Santos insists that there will be some shakeups to the team’s lineup this weekend against the Atlanta Silverbacks. However, that doesn’t mean Ottawa is set to give up on achieving the team’s next major goal.
Fury FC locked up the Fall Season crown by knocking off the Jacksonville Armada last week. Now, with just one game remaining, the club sits two points ahead of the New York Cosmos in the Combined Standings.
“Our objective when we started the season was to make the playoffs,” Dos Santos told SBI. “We were able to lock that about four games ago. After the guarantee that we were making the playoffs, you’re going to your second objective which was playing that playoff game at home. We knew the only way we could play that game at home was by winning the Fall Season and we were able to do it. Now that we’re going into the last game with a chance at winning the Combined, it’s special also.
“We’re going to make some chances in the game with Atlanta and give some opportunities to players that maybe worked very hard during the season but maybe didn’t get the minutes that they deserved or that they worked for. These guys will have some time and they will play against Atlanta, but I still believe we can get a good result in Atlanta that may give us the opportunity to go to our last objective: to win the Combined and maybe get the final at home if we reach the final.”
FC EDMONTON RELEASES FIVE, RE-SIGNS 13 AHEAD OF 2016 SEASON
Although the 2015 campaign has yet to reach its conclusion, FC Edmonton has revealed some shakeups ahead of the 2016 campaign.
The Eddies announced Wednesday that the club is set to release goalkeeper John Smits, defender Kareem Moses, midfielders Tomas Granitto and Thiago de Freitas and forward Franke Jonke to free agency.
“It is always disappointing when you are releasing good people,” FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller stated. “Both general manager Rod Proudfoot and I had meetings with each and every player.
“The players whose contracts we are not renewing have all been a great credit to the club. Thankfully, everyone has left on amicable terms and the players genuinely enjoyed their experience with FC Edmonton.”
FC Edmonton also revealed that 13 players will be brought back for 2016, including goalkeeper Matt VanOekel, midfielder Richie Jones and forward Tomi Amoeobi. In addition, goalkeeper Tyson Farago, defenders Allan Zebie, Mallan Roberts, Johann Smith and Marko Aleksic, midfielders Dustin Corea, Micheal Nonni, Christian Raudales and Pablo Cruz and forward Sadi Jalali are set to return.
“We are delighted to announce that we have 13 players currently under contract with the club while negotiating with an additional seven players at this moment in time that we are cautiously optimistic we can renew contracts with,” Miller added. “I’ve never been a manager who wanted to reinvent the wheel and start from scratch again.
“I think that would be quite foolish with our strong group of core players. Our job in the offseason is to bring in players that will add genuine quality to the group that is currently here.”