Brad Guzan and Aston Villa still have not won since their season opener, but they picked up a respectable result this weekend which could provide a big boost in confidence.
English Premier League cellar dweller Aston Villa grabbed a point at home on Sunday by playing current league leader Manchester City to a 0-0 tie. Guzan contributed to the result that ended the Villans’ seven-game losing streak by making three saves, and the shutout was his second of the campaign, and first since beating AFC Bournemouth, 1-0, on Aug. 8. Aston Villa remained in last place despite picking up the point, and is still five away from safety.
Another U.S. Men’s National Team player to see the field and make an impact this weekend was Geoff Cameron. Stoke City became the latest club to add to Chelsea’s misery by grabbing a 1-0 home win on Saturday, and Cameron chipped in with a 19-minute shift off the bench. Cameron had recently been dealing with a thigh injury, but made his return in the match after a brief spell on the sidelines and helped Stoke preserve its second-half lead.
While Cameron was trying to prevent a goal, Bobby Wood was busy creating them. Wood scored one and assisted on another on Saturday as FC Union Berlin played to a 3-3 draw with FC Nurnberg. Wood now has five goals on the 2. Bundesliga campaign, and heads into the upcoming World Cup qualifiers in good form.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, and made four saves in Everton’s 1-1 draw vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, made three saves, and received a yellow card in Aston Villa’s 0-0 draw vs. Manchester City on Sunday.
- Geoff Cameron came off the bench and played 19 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 win vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- DeAndre Yedlin started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 1-0 loss vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Lynden Gooch did not dress for Sunderland.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 5-2 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 1-0 win vs. Derby County on Friday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench, played 26 minutes, and received a yellow card in Reading’s 2-0 loss vs. Cardiff City on Saturday.
- Andrija Novakovich did not dress for Reading.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 5-2 loss vs. Birmingham City on Saturday.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress for Fulham.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Milton Keynes Dons’ 2-1 loss vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Gedion Zelalem started and played 90 minutes in Rangers’ 4-0 win vs. Alloa Athletic on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 3-1 win vs. Hannover 96 on Friday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Ingolstadt 04 on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 0-0 draw vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in Werder Bremen’s 2-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Sunday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04’s 0-0 draw vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 2-0 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood started, played 71 minutes, scored a GOAL, and had an ASSIST in FC Union Berlin’s 3-3 draw vs. FC Nurnberg on Saturday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 90 minutes before being substituted in SV Sandhausen’s 1-0 win vs. FSV Frankfurt on Friday.
- Caleb Stanko dressed but did not play in SC Freiburg’s 1-1 draw vs. MSV Duisburg on Saturday.
- Shawn Barry started and played 65 minutes in FSV Frankfurt’s 1-0 loss vs. SV Sandhausen on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 2-1 loss vs. Montpellier on Saturday.
- Rubio Rubin did not dress in FC Utrecht’s 3-1 loss vs. PSV Eindhoven on Sunday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Desevio Payne dressed but did not play in FC Groningen’s 2-2 draw vs. Cambuur Leeuwarden on Sunday.
- Zarek Valentin started and played 87 minutes in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 6-1 win vs. Stabaek IF on Sunday.
- Danny Cruz came off the bench, played 45 minutes, received a yellow card, and had an ASSIST for FK Bodo/Glimt.
- Cole Grossman started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF’s 6-1 loss vs. FK Bodo/Glimt on Sunday.
- Ethan Horvath started and played 89 minutes in Molde FK’s 3-0 win vs. IK Start on Sunday.
- A.J. Soares started and played 45 minutes in Viking FK’s 3-1 win vs. Mjondalen on Sunday.
- Erik Hurtado came off the bench and played four minutes in Mjondalen IF’s 3-1 loss vs. Viking FK on Sunday.
- Rhett Bernstein came off the bench and played one minute for Mjondalen IF.
- Alex De John started and played 90 minutes in IK Start’s 3-0 loss vs. Molde FK on Sunday.
- Alejandro Guido started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-1 draw vs. Puebla on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played 20 minutes in Veracruz’s 3-1 loss vs. Tigres UANL on Friday.
- Greg Garza did not dress in Atlas’ 3-2 loss vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jose Torres came off the bench and played one minute in Tigres UANL’s 3-1 win vs. Veracruz on Friday.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 45 minutes, and received a yellow card in Monterrey’s 2-1 win vs. Club America on Saturday.
- Ventura Alvarado dressed but did not play in Club America’s 2-1 loss vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein started and played 75 minutes in in Queretaro’s 2-1 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 3-2 win vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Miguel Ibarra dressed but did not play in Club Leon’s 3-2 loss vs. Pachuca on Saturday.
- William Yarbrough dressed but did not play for Club Leon.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Guzan and Aston Villa picking it up in the Premiership campaign after grabbing this result vs. Man City? Impressed with Cameron and Stoke City’s win?
Share your thoughts below.