The 2022 U.S. Open Cup fourth round field is set with a major showdown between two of MLS’ title contenders.
Thursday’s draw featured 24 winners from this week’s third round as well as eight additional MLS clubs. The fourth round schedule will take place between May 10-11 and will feature several All-MLS matchups.
Steve Cherundolo’s LAFC will welcome rivals Portland Timbers to Banc of California Stadium for the second of three meetings between the clubs in all competitions. LAFC rolled past Orange County SC, 5-1, on Wednesday night while the Timbers are entering the competition at this stage.
An I-95 rivalry is set to take place on the East Coast as D.C. United will host rivals New York Red Bulls after both teams advanced past lower-league opposition in the third round. D.C. United eased past Flower City Union 3-0 thanks to an Ola Kamara hat trick while Gerhard Struber’s Red Bulls edged Hartford Athletic 2-1 away from home.
Defending MLS Cup winners New York City FC will host MLS NEXT Pro side Rochester New York FC in a first-ever meeting. NYCFC is entering the competition at this stage while RNYFC edged FC Motown 4-3 on penalties after the sides played out a 2-2 result through 120 minutes.
There will be three matchups pitting lower-league clubs against each other with Detroit City FC traveling to Louisville City FC, Northern Colorado Hailstorm visiting Union Omaha, and Sacramento Republic FC hosting Phoenix Rising FC.
Here’s a full look at the Fourth Round matchups:
- Union Omaha vs. Northern Colorado Hailstorm
- Minnesota United vs. Colorado Rapids
- Seattle Sounders vs. San Jose Earthquakes
- Sacramento Republic FC vs. Phoenix Rising FC
- LAFC vs. Portland Timbers
- California United Strikers vs. L.A. Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Antonio FC
- Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas
- New England Revolution vs. FC Cincinnati
- Detroit City FC vs. Louisville City FC
- D.C. United vs. New York Red Bulls
- NYCFC vs. Rochester New York FC
- Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United
- Richmond Kickers vs. Charlotte FC
- Orlando City vs. Philadelphia Union
- Inter Miami CF vs. South Georgia Tormenta FC