In this week’s headlining match, Manchester City travels to the Santiago Bernabeu to take on Real Madrid in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League semifinal round.
A place in the UCL final is within touching distance for both the Citizens and Los Blancos after being paired against one another for the second-straight year.
The Citizens visit the infamous grounds for the first time since losing 3-1 in last year’s second-leg match, which saw Real Madrid advance to the final and later win the most prestigious trophy in club football.
Karim Benzema scored a combined three goals in the two matches last time around as Pep Guardiola and his side did not have an answer for the veteran forward. Despite the Citizens domination of the Premier League in recent years, the Champions League trophy seems to allude the sky blues at all costs.
UCL action continues with AC Milan hosting cross city rivals Inter Milan in the Milan Derby on Wednesday.
The two Italian giants meet in the UCL for the first time since 2005, which saw AC Milan victorious 5-0 on aggregate in what many consider an iconic match.
The Nerazzurri faithful and many in the Curva Nord began throwing various objects onto the pitch, including lit red flares, the chaos lead to the Rossoneri being awarded a 3-0 default win, whilst the Nerazzurri were left heartbroken.
AC Milan’s lead goal scorer Rafael Leao is questionable going into Wednesday’s match after leaving Sunday’s fixture with a knock. His absence is likely to be felt by the Rossoneri as they seek a first Champions League final since 2007.
The UEFA Europa League resumes with Juventus hosting Sevilla in its semifinal first leg tie from Turin. On the other side of the bracket, AS Roma and Bayer Leverkusen square off on Thursday afternoon.
If you haven’t yet, be sure to sign up for your free trials of ESPN+ and Paramount+ for all your soccer streaming needs. Make sure you use these SBI-specific links to sign up today, and if you sign up for Paramount+ using our link (and use the offer code SBI) you will receive a free one-week trial.
Here is a look at This Week’s Top 5 Matches to Watch, as well as a full rundown of This Week’s Soccer on TV and Online:
This Week’s Top 5 Matches to Watch
1. Real Madrid vs. Manchester City – Manchester City visit the Santiago Bernabeu to take on defending UCL champions Real Madrid. Last year’s semifinal tie ended 6-5 on aggregate with Los Blancos ending Man City’s hopes again.
2. AC Milan vs. Inter Milan- Two of Italy’s most successful clubs match up in the UCL for the first time since their infamous 2005 quarterfinal clash.
3. Juventus vs. Sevilla – Despite Sevilla’s struggles in league play, the club’s winning history in the Europa League continues to ring true.
4. AS Roma vs. Bayer Leverkusen – After disappointing domestic weekends for both clubs, AS Roma host Bayer Leverkusen in the first-leg of the Europa League Semi-Final.
5. LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders – Two of Major League Soccer’s most successful clubs meet in the U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday when the Seattle Sounders travel to Dignity Health Sports Park.
Click HERE for a closer look at this week’s entire schedule: