Carlo Ancelotti may have to wait a few years, but the 56-year-old Italian could be the next Manchester United manager.
Man United head coach Louis van Gaal’s current contract with the club expires in June 2017, leaving the door open for Ancelotti to possibly return to coaching in the English Premier League.
“Of course, for every manager, they would all think of managing Manchester United,” Ancelotti told The Independent.
However, while he says he’s fine with the idea of waiting for a good position to open, like the one with Man United, the former Real Madrid head coach also says he hopes to return to coaching next summer.
“I will continue to wait,” Ancelotti he added. “If I don’t find a club with a good project, I can wait. What will I do? Watching games, fishing, all these things. But let us see next summer. I will not take a job in mid-season, but I would like to work again next summer.”
Here are some more news and notes:
BENZEMA REQUESTS FACE-TO-FACE MEETING WITH VALBUENA
Karim Benzema is hoping to clear up his name in the blackmail scandal as soon as possible, which is why he has formally requested to meet with French teammate Mathieu Valbuena.
Benzema is accused of aiding a criminal group, which attempted to blackmail Valbuena with an alleged sex tape. On Tuesday, the Real Madrid striker requested an appearance with the investigating judge, Nathalie Boutard, and Valbuena.
“The request has been filed and is in progress,” Benzema’s lawyer, Alain Jakubowicz, said of the matter. If the judge accepts the petition, Valbuena and Benzema could be called to court this month. If the request is refused, according to Le Parisien, Benzema’s legal team can appeal to a higher court.”
The 27-year-old cannot currently have any contact with the Lyon midfielder due to a court order.
FIFA OFFICIAL URGES QATAR TO ADOPT LABOR STANDARDS
With the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is slowly approaching, one FIFA official is urging the Qatari government to adopt labor standards for construction companies.
The Qatar 2022 Local Organizing Committee held its second board meeting to discuss the preparations already made and future plans on Tuesday. One of the key talking points was workers’ welfare and ensuring the safety of the workers while they build the stadiums to be used for the World Cup.
“We are encouraged by the Supreme Committee’s Workers’ Welfare Standards related to the FIFA World Cup stadia, which meet international norms for working conditions, accommodation and wages,” acting FIFA secretary general Markus Kattner told FIFA’s website. “FIFA will continue working closely with the Supreme Committee to ensure that contractors comply with these standards throughout the entire construction cycle.
“We also strongly urge the Qatari government to accelerate the labor reform process on a national level to ensure that such labor standards become legally required for all construction companies active in Qatar.”
Seven years until kickoff in Qatar, FIFA officials were given a tour of five stadiums under construction.
“Today’s meeting is testament to the progress we are making ahead of 2022,” Hassan Al Thawadi said. “In seven years’ time we will be immersed in the excitement and passion of the tournament. However, it is the work we do today which ensures that experience is unlike anything the world of football has previously witnessed.
“FIFA are well aware of our commitment towards using the World Cup as a catalyst for social progress, but this was yet another opportunity to underline our commitment to workers’ welfare.”
River Plate hopes to be world champions, as it arrived in Japan for the FIFA Club World Cup. (REPORT)
The third round pairings for the English FA Cup were announced. (REPORT)
West Ham United midfielder Manuel Lanzini is sidelined for up to six weeks with a quadriceps injury. (REPORT)
Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann says he is not interested in moving to the English Premier League. (REPORT)
Arsenal reportedly want to sign Spanish international Nolito, and have already made contact with Celta Vigo. (REPORT)